Monday, December 9, 2013

Roller Queen

This weekend I had a brilliant fit mom moment.

The kind of brilliance that is bound to embarrass your offspring.

See, my 8-year-old had a birthday party to go to. At a roller skating rink.

Since the entire U.S. seems to be affected by snow, ice and freezing temperatures, you know where this is going, right?

Right.

Because that's the kind of mom I am.

Maybe it wouldn't have crossed my mind, but I was feeling like a caged animal (this has happened before), waiting for it to warm up--you know, willing to settle for 5 degrees--before I went out on my snowshoes.

I needed to move people!

So I offered to drive my daughter and her friend to the party and take them home.

"Are you sure you don't want me to pick up?" My neighbor asked, because that's how we usually do it.

"No, I'm sure. I've got this!"

Naturally, I checked with my daughter first.

"Would it be O.K. if I skated, too?"

"Yeah mom," she said, "But you have to ask first. And, I'm going to want to skate with my friends."

Fair.

Entry and skate rental (old school skates not blades) was $7 and I wasn't the oldest person there by a long shot. In fact I'm certain some of those bald guys have been regulars since they were in sixth grade.

And, oh did skating in circles under a disco ball take me back to sixth grade! My daughter requested Michael Jackson just for me. I really wanted Kool and the Gang, but was just as happy when they played Queen: "Another One Bites the Dust." (Come to think of it, this might have been a nod to the old folks in more ways than one.)

There is no better way to get a workout in when it is -13 degrees outside. Indoor roller rink. That's the best advice I can give you this winter.

You know what else? She did skate with me. Came right up and grabbed my hand. My heart skipped a beat, just like a sixth-grade crush, only much much better.





2 comments:

Katherine Albright Duet said...

LOVE this post! Took me also right back to 6th grade - what a great idea for a fun workout in the winter - thanks Kara!

jenn said...

Sounds like a blast! I can't imagine I could stand upright on these, even though I play hockey. Which, now that you mention it, is another phenomenal way to get a workout when it's -13. Indoors, of course. You should play!