Monday, December 2, 2013

Today, A Poem

No bike on this walk. We are searching for birds.
Today I bring you a poem. Why? Because I'm taking a poetry class and I've been a prolific poet for the last few months and my poems will never see the light of day unless I publish them on my own blog. Totally self-serving, I know. This one, though, has that "finding fitness in the chaos of motherhood" feel to it. That's my justification anyway.

This Walk Was Never Mine

--by Kara Douglass Thom

It is raining.
What’s a little rain?

Rain or shine, 
we take to the trail.

Four-year-old boy on a bike.
Six-month-old pup on a leash.

Energy that can’t be contained
because of a day-long drizzle.

The boy searches for puddles to dissect.
The pup searches for smells of dog’s gone by.

Both unperturbed by the wet chill, but me,
I search for a good place to turn back.

Here? I ask at a bend before a steep hill.
No! He shouts and charges out of sight.

The pup whines in distress--where is the boy?
and tugs for me to catch up.

Use your brakes, I warn, It’s slick!
I’ve got this mom, he shouts confidently.

And he does, thanks to his training wheels.
I run so the pup and I can keep pace.

But he stops often, for me, maybe the pup,
or to admire the creek, a rock, goose poop.

We never turned, we looped.
This walk was never mine.

Four-year-old boy on a bike.
Six-month-old pup on a leash.

Rain or shine, 
we take to the trail.

It is raining.
What’s a little rain?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved it!
Lisa

Nadine said...

Couldn't have said it better myself :)