Monday, March 21, 2011

Update #3 from Mamacat

We are following Mamacat on her journey to Becoming a Hot (Sweaty) Mama. Last week Mamacat got to her new gym, broke out the heart rate monitor she got for Christmas and signed up for Moms On The Run. The week had it’s challenges, most notably, and not surprisingly, juggling other roles (motherhood, work) as she tried to fit in fitness. I think Mamacat is starting to feel the endorphin high that comes from accomplishing a workout despite that frenzy. I know I always feel good after a workout, but those feelings of well-being are even greater if I’ve done it successfully despite everything else going on around me. What I’m saying is, the harder it is to squeeze in that workout, whether the challenge is mental or physical, the more of a bad-ass you’ll feel once it’s over.

Mamacat’s goal for now is to make fitness a HABIT. How does fitness become a habit? Here's a little tidbit from the book "Hot (Sweaty) Mamas: Five Secrets to Life as a Fit Mom"... By finding activity that is:
  • Happy-inducing (you have to enjoy yourself)
  • Authentic (the workout is an expression of the true you; it fits like your favorite pair of jeans)
  • Better off than before (that feeling of empowerment you get when it’s over)
  • Integrates easily into life (slides right into your schedule, or at least into your chaotic world)
  • Time-valued (when the workout moves higher on your to-do list because you really want to get it done)
Here’s a run down of Mamacat’s activity last week. I’ll interject with my feedback in bold, because I can’t help getting a word in...

Saturday
Went to the new gym and after 45 minutes on the elliptical, we took the kids swimming. I expected frolicking in the pool more than laps--but I got lucky. This was the first time I've done "true" laps in years. I don't know if it was the salt water pool or simply the joy of the water (perhaps both) but I just moved through the water like a ripple in the tide. Notice I don't say anything here about speed, but I did focus on form. I had no swim cap and no goggles but went as long as I could without burning my eyes (they burned later, oh boy did they!) I added another 23 minutes on the Polar Active. I'll up it to 30 next time.

Note that she used the word JOY to describe swimming. That’s HAPPY INDUCING! I’d venture to say that swimming is also an AUTHENTIC activity for her because she loves being in the water.

Tuesday
It took everything to drag my sorry, crabby arse to the gym. My neck hurt (the accident), my back hurt (the accident) and I was puffy. Tired. BUT, I told a friend I would meet her at spin class. The step to meet a friend makes a big difference, especially in the evening hours after a long day of work. Additionally, I knew I didn't have a reason to skip. I had an excuse but not a reason. So I went. Well, someone invited my inner Hot (Sweaty) Mama to the party because as soon as the 80's music starting blaring, I was taking names. I fleshed out every bad piece of mood in my bones and left on such an endorphin high--the party was rocking!
This is what it means to be “BETTER OFF THAN BEFORE!”
Wednesday
Today I did laps in the pool at the old gym while the kids had swimming lessons.

Are you following me folks--Mamacat swimming when the kids are swimming means this workout INTEGRATES EASILY INTO LIFE.

Thursday
Today I had to make a major effort. First I deposited kids at various places then went to the old gym. Along came my computer and client files. I got there early to secure a bike, then disappeared to find a quiet spot for a client conference call, before the 9:30 start. Once on the client call (in the gym lobby)...my boss wanted to know which one of us on said call was making the noise. With five of us in different locations on the call, I might have gotten away with the mute button. But 1) the call was mine to lead and 2) one client suggested to the other client that the noise might be her kids and I could not let her take that rap. So I fessed up, finished the call and spun my guts out! ! It was worth it.

Not only is Mamacat applying her professional title of “Director of Radical Efficiency” to her personal life, she is getting a sense for the TIME VALUE of her workout and going to greater lengths to make sure she can squeeze in that workout!

I don’t know about you, but Mamacat seems to be on her way to making fitness a HABIT. From here on out, it’s all about repetition! This week Mamacat travels to Boston for business. “No kids to shuffle around but also no girlfriends to meet me at the gym,” she says. Can we give her some advice for being active on the road?

2 comments:

jo said...

Work travel always screwed up my schedule, but now I try to look forward to the chance to run in a new city. I check out routes from Map My Run and then double check at the hotel if the route is in a safe neighborhood. If i know time will be tight on the trip I try to cram in a long run or an intense run before I travel so that my travel day can be a rest day. I've also brought a yoga dvd before and played it in my laptop.
I also make sure the hotel has a workout room. I'm not a swimmer, but a pool for doing laps would be great!
Good luck!

Tiffanie said...

Found your blog today. With only one toddler (as opposed to 4 kids!), I'm definitely in need of some inspiration from a pro! Thank you for your good sense of humor, passion, and energy.
And I love the idea of the 10 minute workout. That's manageable no matter what (right?!)